All About Paper
Australia is one of the biggest paper consumers in the world. Forest Ethics have reported on average 230kg per person per year is the Australia consumption rate.
It is clear that the paper industry demands rapidly growing resources to continue to fulfil the worldwide demand.
In 2007-2008 Clean Up Australia reported that we used 4.25 million tonnes of paper and of that we sent 1.9 million tonnes straight to landfill a staggering 44.7% of the annual paper consumption.
Every Australian office worker uses approximately 10,000 sheets of A4 paper each year with an estimated 50% of this going straight to landfill.
In today’s measures it takes approximately twenty full grown trees to produce one tonne of virgin printer paper but only 25% of each tree is used to produce the paper product.
The paper industry is a greedy resource consumer that uses more water to produce a tonne of its product than any other industry.
It uses a incredible 90,000 litres of water per tonne of virgin paper.
Recycled paper not only softens environmental impact but drastically reduces the amount of vital resources needed to produce it.
Creating one tonne of recycled paper consumes 50% less energy than virgin paper which equates to only 4100 kilowatt hours of electricity per tonne as well as only requiring 25% of the amount of bleach used for new office paper. It also saves:
- 13-20 trees
- 31,780 litres of water
- 5 barrels of oil
- 4 cubic metres of landfill
- 27 kilograms of air pollutants
Paper recycling plays a pivotal role in helping to reduce the environmental impact the paper industry has had on vital world resources.
The environmental management of paper is an ever present issue which we all must acknowledge before the world’s forests are depleted to a point of complete environmental devastation.
Weights and Conversions
- 1 ream of A4 paper = 2.5Kgs
- 1 tonne of paper = 400 reams
- 400 reams = 200,000 sheets
- 1 tree makes 16.67 reams of copy paper or 8,333 sheets
- 1 ream of copy paper uses 6% of a tree
- 20 full grown trees produces approximately 1 tonne of paper
Paper Facts and Trivia
- The first paper merchant in America was Benjamin Franklin, who helped to start 18 paper mills in Virginia and surrounding areas.
- Every ton of paper that is recovered saves 2.5 cubic metres of landfill space.
- Paper was invented by the Chinese around 105 A.D. and was kept a secret for many years.
- Paper bags were first measured by how many pounds of sugar they held.
- A single tree can absorb more than 10 pounds of CO2 each year.
- The daily production of toilet paper is about 83,048,116 rolls per day
- Every year, the junk mail industry destroys approximately 100 million trees.
- The production and disposal of junk mail uses up more energy than what is used by 3 million cars.
- A new world record for distance was set in 2012 when Joe Ayoob paper plane travelled 69.14m.
- Paper in the average business grows by 22% a year, meaning your paper will double in 3.3 years.
- Worldwide the pulp and paper industry is the fifth largest consumer of energy, accounting for 4% of all the world’s energy use.
- The paper industry uses more water to product a ton of product than any other industry.
- Worldwide consumption of paper has risen by 400% in the last 40 years with 35% of harvested trees being used for paper manufacture.